Wednesday, December 10, 2014

reflection 13

This semester has been very challenging to say the least. The use of calculus in my study field I have learned is detrimental to providing accurate information. I honestly have struggled this semester, trying to conceptualize what has been demonstrated. Through many hours of trying to understand, and numerous people showing different methods of calculating equations, I can say that the concepts have become much less cloudy. The problem still exist for me the actual calculations aspect but I feel that with practiced application in the wildlife biology field this will become easier. The challenge still remains however to apply multiple parameters still remains and now that my understanding is better, I feel is common within the community.
What would I do differently? Well there have been many times I wish that osmosis would occur if I slept with my head rested on my calculus book (it never happened). The challenge is definitely something that would change my view on how to proceed in further voyages in calculus. I have no question that if things were done differently I would be in a worse spot than I am because the feeling of giving up came on pretty quick. The drive however to stick with it has driven me to try and try again, stumbling across many steps but finally understanding concepts. I still feel that the math is vague but like I said before it will come with time. As far as spending more time studying, I have discovered that studying with others has been more beneficial. The ability to talk out problems with others and their understandings is far more helpful than just writing it down off of the board. Perhaps the change I would make is to allow class time for more of this.
The advice I would give future students is to “keep your head up”, just because the concept seems vague now, understanding comes with time.
The grade I would give myself! If effort were a grade I would say a high B, but effort does not sum up the grade in the class sadly. I have tried and have been unsuccessful but I did not give up and plan to never give up.


No comments:

Post a Comment