Thursday, December 11, 2014

reading response

Matt Waite! you are not alone in where your mind relates to math. If you were to read "Talent is Over-rated" then you would know that what you are doing is exactly what is recommended. Taking the bull by the horns so to say and making math something of a fun sport. Well that is all good for the accomplished journal writer who now teaches at a university, but not so much for the student who goes to that school. Yes you worried about how you did on the exams and maybe stressed a little but students who endure this just to get a degree i feel have more stressing. look I would love to say that reading an article or book on the subject makes a miraculous change in how well i do in the subject but that is not the case. Matt did what needed to be done however and buckled down and pressed forward and made the grade. That can be done if the aptitude or willingness exist or if there is no pressure to make the whole grade. The feeling of achieving an A in a math course would be an awesome feeling i can agree with that. Though Matt referring to people not being good at math as something that does not exist, Personal opinion there Matt. I know people who cannot walk and chew gum and in respect to that would never try and teach them derivatives. I will give credit to the professors who struggle with trying to apply knowledge to every individual in the class, I feel as though this would be the most challenging of jobs. The thought of trying to teach math even now makes me want to slam my head in the same drawer the test are kept in. I am one of those who are "not good at math" but it is not all math that I lack the ability to do. I can balance my checkbook, which is probably the most important skill to have. I can multiply and divide like none other, and equations as long as they are not Albert Enstien quality "easy". The problem exist when "what Ifs" come into play in my conceptual way of thinking thus earning me the right to use the "Im not good at math" badge of honor. The question of can I be taught to be good is answered by a simple "yes" but! will i like the subject more just becasue i know how to complete the problem? not likely. Matt good for you going back and teaching yourself things you didn't know! but the assumption that no one is bad at math, too far buddy too far.  

No comments:

Post a Comment