This week we started reading Talent is Overrated by Geoff Colvin, for calculus. Initially this process of reading literature and blogging for a math class seems to be quite different. The book however does make some decent points about success though I am not quite sure why people would need to read books on how to be successful in daily situations. The self-help qualities stream from the pages almost in a cliche like manor. The favorite so far "Great performance is in our hands far more than ever accepted" well of course it is good sir! I mean honestly if we wait for others to ensure our success then the process can never be duplicated by our own hands. The need for people to succeed is only measured by others success in the same areas of life. This seems to me like an easy out or a way to pass failure off on personal attributes.
Just a few more quotes from the pages that I would like to elaborate on.
"natural talent doesn't explain top level performance if talent doesn't exist" ? how much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck couldn't chuck wood; see I can do it too.
"Deliberate Practice is key" Well first off who the hell is practicing anything on accident? Yes a major key to success in any area of life is practice. You cannot walk onto a football field never have played the game expecting to throw like Tom Brady, I am sure that even he has had to practice a few times in his life. I can however see Geoff's point on practice being exhausting and mental, but then again what practice have you ever done that wasn't the least bit mental or physical? Think about it! i'll wait. Too exhausting? yeah should have practiced.
"with practice good memories are developed" well with practice bad memories can be developed too. I appreciate the enthusiasm Geoff I really do but really?
"no correlation between IQ and success" Yes! finally a statement I can totally agree with, I mean look at our last two presidents. No need to further elaborate I am sure. Tiger may have the skills but in the IQ level even he fell short. In life its more of who you know than what you know. I can teach a kid to design erosion control designs and only that, hell he could be a complete moron in his older age but his designs would be flawless. With this we can assume that the kid would be successful in designing erosion control plans and the rest of his life would suck but even he could be in what Geoff would label as successful.
"practice should designed to work on specific skills" Oh boy! I would have never known this if I didn't just see it in black an white. Listen I am not trying to take the cynical approach here just trying to understand what others train of thoughts would be on this same statement. Lets break this down a little further "practice should be designed" ok well yes Geoff it should otherwise what would it really be? But not just designed but "designed to work on specific skills" that goes hand in hand with "deliberate practice is key" funny how they sound different but mean almost the same thing. Also just to kick that thought process a little further "if you are behind it is hard to catch up" well I have news for anyone who may read this further that is the definition of being behind. There has never been anyone who says being ahead is easier than being behind because honestly who the hell gets caught up in the first place.
I cannot wait to see what the next chapters bring to the table and though this is for a grade I am pretty sure I will not be the favorite in class tomorrow with the teacher. I am pretty comfortable with who I am as a person and frankly where I have been and what I have done. There have been successes in my life that I have to attribute to hard work and knowledge, but to be frank the most success has come from communication and willingness to learn. Anyone can do a certain job with a little practice but most of the knowledge stems from on the job learning. I hope you enjoy this post and Carrie I apologize in advance.
No comments:
Post a Comment